Pages

Friday 24 April 2015

A Day in the Life of a Journalist.

I'm a small town kind of guy. The place that I call home credits itself with a singular road in or out, a perimeter of fields, about 4 churches and the same amount of pubs; and that’s about it. No train stations connecting us to anywhere or endless floods of people rushing like salmon through busy streets. It’s not at all surprising then that, stepping off of the Temple line underground train, on my way to meet an extremely well established and credited national journalist come charity chairman for a one on one meeting in Somerset house, the main emotions flooding through me were apprehension and a sense of not belonging.

The journalist I had travelled to London to see was Charles Clover, former Environment editor at The Daily Telegraph and current columnist at The Sunday Times.  As well as winning the British Environment and Media’s National Journalist of the Year award in 1989, 1994 and 1996, he is also the chairman of his own founded organisation, The Blue Marine Foundation, and the author of The End of the Line – a book turned film about the consequences of overfishing on the seas. So my apprehension is understandable, I wasn't meeting the local sports writer but rather a man who has a serious voice in the journalistic world. Unlike my home-town, this journalist is well connected to the outside world.

To start at the beginning, for a views months I have had the good fortune to have started a dialogue between myself and Mr Clover, all through the chance that my flatmate happened to of mentioned she knew the journalist through her family. After sending a copy of my CV and an example of my work, he was gracious enough to allow me to meet him at The Blue Marine Foundation headquarters, based in Somerset House in London for a coffee and a chat about the industry.

Sitting there, in a cobbled courtyard surrounded by the stunningly bourgeoisie architecture of Somerset House, with a coffee and a croissant and talking about the nature of journalism with a well-established journalist, it was hard not to stifle the feeling of awe and keep up the image of confidence and belonging that I worked so hard to build. The importance of postgraduate degrees and NCTJ’s in journalism, the core skills fundamental to success, and the tricky and illusive nature of nepotism and the crucial process of networking – we spoke at length about all of this, yet not in the mechanically formal way I had envisioned. Instead the conversation was fluid and full of insightful stories, anecdotes laden with tricks of the field that told me more about what to do than a bullet point list of abstracts ever could. It was colloquial and relaxed, and even though when I left all I had with me was a scarcely touched notepad and clean, inkless fingers, I felt infinitely more informed than when I had arrived.

The best was yet to come. I had expected a short meeting over a coffee and then quick farewells and that would be it. Especially given the release of the Tory Manifesto on the same day which held huge repercussions for The Blue Marine Foundation, making it more than a standard day at the office for Mr Clover. Yet, despite all of this I was offered the chance to become a fly on the wall for a crucial day in a charitable lobbyist environment and watch the formulation and circulation of a national story. I won’t speak too much about this, but watching the teamwork and unity that was present in making this story was fascinating. The attention to every syllable and the contacts they used to get the word out quickly gave me my first formal glimpse of what a career in this environment would be like. It was enthralling.

As I left I was given the email address for a senior political journalist at The Sunday Times and a recommendation from Mr Clover (yet somehow I still managed to hide the project X party going on inside me and appear at least semi-professional) and that was it. It didn’t really hit me until I was safely Chichester-bound on the train, but I had just had my first glimpse at the inner-circle of journalism and had been given an opportunity to experience it again. I think the man sat opposite me mistook me for emoji given the size of the smile on my face.


It is often said that journalism is a field primarily based around nepotism; that it is not what you do but rather who you know that will cement your career in the field. Call me an optimist or a naïve dreamer, but this view has always felt too cynical for me to believe. I still believe that it’s your commitment and intelligence that define you, but knowing a couple of the right people sure as hell doesn't hurt your chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment